Whadya know, I actually made it to work today without my smoothie all over my face. I call that a huge success. I won’t mention that I spilled almond milk on my kitchen floor and knocked off the knob on my washing machine all within 5 minutes. If I told you that, then you’d all really think I’m a clutz.
So instead I’m going to share this BBQ sweet potato chip recipe with you, but I must warn you. You will not want to share them. I had every intention to do so yesterday at work, but it just didn’t happen.
I came across this recipe on Pinterest and shortly after decided to make them, with some slight modifications as usual. I wanted to simplify the recipe so that it used all common ingredients, and have measurements for you guys to follow. I wasn’t sure if they’d end up tasting more spicy than “BBQish”, but they ended up having that perfect BBQ chip flavor. I honestly couldn’t believe it. They tasted just like a store bought BBQ chip, but only 100 times healthier! That makes me SO happy
The next time I make these, I will slice them even thinner. It’s best (and much easier) to use a mandoline slicer to get an even thickness (thinness?). I used two sweet potatoes and they filled up 5 dehydrator trays. These can be made in a dehydrator or an oven. If you want to bake these in the oven you’ll probably need just as many cookie sheets.
If I were you, I would make these tonight. Just saying!
Have you tried baked BBQ sweet potato chips before? Am I just late on the scene?
If I don’t talk to you guys tomorrow, have a great weekend!
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced very thin (almost paper thin)
- 3 Tbs olive oil, (coconut or grapeseed would work great too)
- 2 Tbs honey, (I used raw)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt (plus and extra pinch)
- Once the potatoes are sliced, melt the honey so it's thin,mix it with the oil and add a pinch of salt. Evenly mix the potatoes into the mixture. Spread the potato slices onto your dehydrator sheets or cookie sheets. If using cookie sheets, you might want to line them with parchment paper. Mix all of the seasonings together and sprinkle it over the potatoes. If you want and have the patience you can flip the potatoes and sprinkle more on the other side. I didn't do this.
- * To bake them in the oven there are two ways you could do it. Either bake them at 200 degrees for 50 minutes or at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. If you do it at 200 degrees you will preserve more of the sweet potatoes nutritional content.
- Either way, they will be just as delicious!